Completely Swamped (and Covered with Orange Cat Hair)

So, I'm sitting at the kitchen table, minding my business, eating my tomato soup, when Dereck checks his phone messages on his way out the door. He comes back in. "Who was that?" I ask him. It was the vet clinic. They have our orange cat.



Rewind to last week: Dereck gets a phone call during class. An orange cat has gone into a girl's house. She looked at his tags and called the vet, who give her Dereck's cell number (can you tell we live in a small town?). She calls back. He got out. Fine, he'll just go home.



Our neighbors tell us that Boone comes over daily for tummy scratches. Our cats are incurable flirts, charming the whole neighborhood and we joke that without collars, someone might keep them.



It is becoming one of those weeks that you have to be particularly careful what you put out into the universe. Karl writes at work that he is leaving his current position to pursue a professional writing career. Boom! He gets a nice offer.



This morning, Sam tells me Tuesdays are his favorite days because he has speech therapy, which he really likes. Boom! I get a call today saying they are kicking him out of speech, due to correct articulation. Congratulations, Sam, but we are sorry...



I am notorious for whining about wanting to be busy and to have projects and meaning in my life. Boom! I have (count with me now, folks):



(1) grant to write. Waiting for Godot guidelines... any day now, folks.

(3) articles to edit/write to submit by December 31

(1) grant to review/edit

(1) grant to edit for Dec. 5

(1) book chapter due Jan. 31

(1) memoir/novel to write for NaNoWriMo

(1) manual of operations to work on

(1) grant due February 5



That's all. No biggy. I am not panicking. I am not lying on the floor panting. I fully anticipate being able to sleep again. Someday.



Seriously, I love it! I would rather be inundated with all of these projects (and so what do you do when you are too busy to breathe? Oh, you blog too? Good) than be bored out of my freaking mind.



But if you are wondering what I am doing, if I go for bits between blogging, refer back to this list and it should give you some idea of what I am up to.



So, what, you may ask, does this have to do with my orange cat? Well, a college student found him and thought his leg was hurt, so she took him to the vet. His leg was fine. I went and got him, and of course, I am wearing a black blouse and black skirt today. Of course. I took him, purring, over to the posters of missing animals and said, "We do not want you to become one of these, Boone." Then, I popped him crying into his cat carrier and took him home. He is grounded right now, has to stay in the house. But he seemed just fine with that.



The moral of this story is: Be careful about what you are sending out into the universe right now. I am hoping that I have my three (Karl is included because I am aware of it).



p.s. My nephew Devon's surgery has been moved to Nov. 4, due to a newborn whose condition is much more serious than his, if you could keep that date in mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Day

Teenage boys are sex maniacs

Not a Nike commercial