Some Good Advice...

Oh. My. Heck.



I have been working my fanny off ALL DAY. My favorite kind of day-- just flew by!



So, I took a break, noticed that Melly has updated her blog, and found the following request:



A couple of years ago, I began putting together a book that I'm going to give to Matthew when he turns fifteen. I asked people to email me advice or quotes or whatever to put in the book for him to read when he's going through one of the most awkward times in his life.

I decided that since I am putting so much time into making this scrapbook, that it would be made even better if I could incorporate some of the advice people sent me.

I'm asking for more because I'd like for each page to have something written on it from a different person. You can be funny or serious or both. It doesn't matter. Just think of something that you'd say to a fifteen year old kid. And make sure that you put where you are from.

Email it to me at jezemelly@yahoo.com

So, here is advice I got when I was a teenager that I found particularly useful.



You have to understand the rules of the game before you can break them.



This is something that my seven year old could use. I was given no assistance with this advice, so I offer the following example that could be used for a fifteen year old:



  • If you want to be able to cut classes without getting in trouble, you must become a teacher's pet.

  • You must get good grades at first, and you must earn teacher trust (offer to organize a book shelf during your study hall).

  • Then, you will obtain a signed pass from that teacher authorizing you to cut study hall to go and organize the book shelf.
  • Now, you are licensed.

  • Do not abuse this at first.

  • Go, and organize the booksehelf. This is all about building trust. People will get used to seeing you in the halls with you signed hall pass, and they will talk about how wonderful you are in the teacher's lounge.
  • You will get to the point where you no longer need the written pass-- curve your fingers under so you look like you are holding a pass, hold your head up high, and make eye contact and smile.
  • Say something friendly to every teacher you pass.
  • You can now do anything you want. You own them.
  • So, have fun with that!


Will I tell my children this little bit of advice?



Only if they don't figure it out on their own first.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Day

Teenage boys are sex maniacs

Not a Nike commercial